February 7, 2011

Poem

When I read The Hound of the Baskervilles in eighth grade, one of the assignments was to write a poem about the story. It must have been a burst of inter-unit fever on my teacher's part. Anyway, there were plenty of stipulations. The poem had to include alliteration, rhyme scheme, consistent meter, personification, repetition, and a clear reference to some element of the book. I was toiling over a sonnet about the moors (like the hilly and wild English terrain, not like Othello).

My dad came in, glanced at the assignment, and quipped:

Doggy doggy in the night, 
you can bark but please don't bite. 

It fulfilled all the criteria. I may have snapped my pencil in half.

1 comment:

  1. Did I tell you about the time I completely misunderstood my AP English prompt?

    ReplyDelete