November 17, 2010

Sleeping In

Eleven years ago, my mother and sister pleaded with me to get up early on a Saturday to stand in line in the Chicago cold. Mother and sister were going to a book signing for an author they both loved at the time. They had three of her books and the rule was one signature per person. Wouldn’t I please, please stop being selfish and come so they could get all three books signed?

I wasn’t having it.

While my mother and sister stood in the pre-dawn cold like suckers, I slept comfortably in my canopy bed, wrapped in a down comforter. Thank goodness a good Samaritan in line behind them offered to have the third book signed.


Tomorrow, I’m going to wait in line for hours to attend a midnight showing of Part 1 of the same author’s seventh book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

No comments:

Post a Comment